Wednesday, March 07, 2018

Mr. ONEderful Turns One.

Last night, I gave you extra kisses. Kisses aplenty. It was our last night to have a baby in the house. 


Today, you are one. 

Of course, I just listened to the audio that Daddy took as you took your very first breath (one of the most thoughtful and meaningful gifts your Daddy ever gave me - recording the first moments of your life, and of Macy's life). 

The first four minutes of your life, all on audio. 

What I heard was so much love. Lots of laughing and affirming. Tiny little cries from you. A midwife who said "Silas, don't mess with your mama" because in two pushes, you were here.


And then I said what I so remember feeling.

"That was hard. That was really hard."

Your first moments of life were intense, for sure. I wasn't expecting it to go that way.


It was a hard 20 minutes of active labor, but I had no idea of the good stuff that awaited me.


I'm so glad we said "let's have one more". 

Silas Jacob - the friendliest of friends. Social butterfly, fully engaged, feeling all the people.

Our family needed you.


You've made life easy for this mama, who now has three kids to mind. You can entertain yourself for long periods of time while I help a Big Sister with her magnet tile creations and play doh sculpting, and a Big Brother with his snacks and dressing his babydoll.

I peek at you from time to time, and when our eyes meet you flash me the hammiest smile.

You don't need me, usually - but I'm thankful that you want me. I'll be your jungle gym, your food-giver, your two-second snuggle when you're upset.

It may seem like I'm busy, but I'm here. And I'm never too busy for you.




On your first birthday, I'm allowing myself to feel all the sentimental feelings. I'm celebrating your life - and celebrating you.

You! Silas Jacob. Siley-J. Siley-Jaybird. Si-si. Siley Pep.

A unique little person, who will do well with nourishing and cherishing.


I'm so glad that I get to be your mom.

Sometimes we'll step back and say "That was hard" but there are good things around the bend.

I'm sure of it.

And together, Team Gibson will get there. Sometimes it will be slow (it's usually best that way). Sometimes it will be uncomfortable (most good things are). But big smiles and sunshine await.


So, to our sweet, friendly, patient, tender boy: we treasure you, buddy. We believe that big, amazing, excellent things await you. We are so glad to be part of your unique story. Helping you write it will be one of the greatest joys of our life.

Here's to a wild & precious life of loving others and being loved by others.



"Yaaaaay Siley!"

One Thing I Know For Sure: So much love.

Read Silas's Birth Story HERE.

1 comment:

  1. What A Beautiful Legacy Being Built!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...