Wednesday, March 09, 2016

Baby Girl is One.

One year ago today, on your due date, I woke up and talked to your daddy about whether or not today would be 'the day'.  It was 6:30am and I had been in the very early stages of labor for about 18 hours.  

Little did I know that about 16 hours later, we'd be holding you in our arms.

I enjoyed labor. It's true. I loved every single hour. Hours after you were born, I told your daddy that I couldn't wait to do that again. 

You came into the world silently. Even then, I wasn't afraid. I knew it was just you, being you. When you finally cried, it was the smallest, meekest, quietest cry I had ever heard.


You tippy toed into our lives, and grabbed a hold of our heartstrings right from the beginning. Everyone who came to visit you said that although you were quiet, you were alert. 

You were so alert and so full of personality and life. Even at one day old.



And now, here we are - one year later. You are one. Baby no more - you are a little toddler. 

Your larger-than-life personality shines through more and more each day. I love to watch you discover who you are. 

Not who you're 'going to be' - but who you are. You already are somebody, Macyn Joy. This is why it never works when we try to be someone else. You are you. Be you.

You go at things with gusto, always moving forward, always looking for what's next.


You are happy and content 97.6% of the time. You love blueberries, coloring, climbing (so much climbing!), matchbox cars, crawling around on Carter's bed, clementines, snuggling with mama (but only at bedtime), watching Carter, wrestling with your daddy, and baths.

We laugh right now about your climbing - because you can climb from chair to table top in 4 seconds, flat. But you don't walk.  You climb your rocking cow and stand on the seat. But you don't walk.

It's okay, little baby. I'm in no hurry for you to walk.


You are a smart cookie and have picked new things up so quickly. A welcome change for this mama who is used to teaching and modeling and teaching and modeling. You've learned many signs, and have some pretty adorable words, too.

You're growing and learning and changing every day. I go back and forth between wanting you to stay little so I can enjoy you just like this - and wanting you to grow up, so I can see the amazing things that you will do.


Macyn Joy - I hope you know that you are loved.
I hope you know that you are Carter's best friend, and mama & daddy's best girl.
I hope you understand that you are who God created you to be. Go after that, little girl.
I pray that you will be a woman who gives up control to the God who loves you.
I pray so many things for you - but mostly, just that.


To our joy-girl, on your first birthday. To our sissy-pants. To our baby girl. Little sipster (we don't know where that came from. Odd nicknames are just an effect of having a big brother, I think).

Macy Moo.

We love you and are so excited to celebrate YOU today.


You're one in a million, girl. Now you take that, and you just rock it.


Here's to being one. 

One Thing I Know For Sure: Just be you, little girl.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...