Friday, February 10, 2012

10 on 10

1.  Our day started with the usual bedroom sabotage.  This time, he went for the wipes.  Good OT I guess :)  He also spent time carrying his shoes around in pairs, and putting them in random places around the house.  I'm guessing he sees another man in our home do the same thing :)  



2. This is what it looks like outside our window today.  Total yuckness.  I read a blog today of someone who lives in a happy, normal climate and her photos of their outside time did NOT look like this.  Not at all.



3.  I caved today.  I stopped at Starbucks and thoroughly enjoyed my Caramel Macchiato.  And the design on the cup made it that much more special :)



4. Little boy enjoyed looking at my RealSimple magazine.  I haven't finished it yet, but I have a feeling he'll get to it before I do.  I wonder if he read the section about 'organization tips' - and how an organized house requires effort from every single person that lives there.  Yes, even the little ones.



5.  Well, apparently he did read the section about swiffering floors.  This kid can swiffer like nobody's business.  He takes it to each room and waves that thing around like Cinderella's fairy godmother.  Bippity-boppity-BOO - the room is now clean.



6. Moses.  Oh, Moses.  How you annoy me when you dig your nose in the garbage.  How you get on my last nerve when you must itch each ear with vigor right as Carter is drifting off to sleep.  Seriously, you drive me nuts most days.  But during nap time, when I see you chillin' on the couch watching 'House Hunters'...I somehow forget all the ridiculous things that you did all morning.  And I love you again.



7. Usually after about 2 or 3 hours of sleep, I can hear Carter fiddling around in his crib.  And this is the reaction I get, just about every day.  These moments make mommy hood extra special :)



8. Carter likes his mirror.  A lot.  And he likes the other kid, too.  Apparently, it really, really needs some windex.



9. Dada came home a little early, and he plays with Carter in a way that Mama just can't do.  Believe me, I try during the day.  But Mama just doesn't cut it when it comes to rough-housing.  This boy loves his Dada.  Just ask him - he'll sign 'Dada' for you.  He'll 'call' Dada on the play phone.  He walks to the window to wave bye-bye all morning long - because that's what we do when Dada leaves.  Buds.



10. I have started playing old school episodes of Sesame Street - I found them on YouTube...and Carter loves them!  This is his usual Sesame Street position.  And I think it's adorable.



And a freebie.  Because I just can't get enough.


That was our day - in 10 photos!

++++++++++++++++++

Okay, I've got to say that up to this point, it has been torture for me to chit-chat about my day when I have SO many more exciting things to share.  More on this tomorrow.  But for now, I have something very, very special to share.

Let me start by saying this.  When you're in a foreign place - physically, spiritually, emotionally - the Lord always sends something to make you feel at home.  Sometimes you don't see it, because you're busy being scared.  Sometimes you miss it because you're so focused on what you don't have.

Thank God we didn't miss it.

The first day in Ukraine - literally in the shuttle bus at the airport, these people immediately reached out to us.  "Where ya'll from?!"  - I can hear it now.  Jake and I looked at each other, like "Seriously?!  Here - in Kiev?!  Lord....you've gotta be kidding me.".  With that, Jake & I breathed a huge sign of relief.

And it was the beginning of something special.

Bryan & Alecia had adopted from Ukraine before.  They held our hands and guided us when we didn't know where to go.  In those first days when I was so, so very homesick - Bryan & Alecia called to see if we wanted to hang out.  They were missing their kids back home, and we were missing.....well, everything.

Being in the trenches together creates this bond that is indescribable.  We didn't spend more than 2 or 3 afternoons/evenings together.  But God knit our hearts together so much so, that I can say I really, truly miss this family.

Well - Jake and I have been home from Ukraine, WITH Carter for almost 3 months.  Incredible, I know.

But all this time that we've been settling in to our new normal, Bryan & Alecia have been waiting.

Yes - in Ukraine.  Waiting for everything to be final.  Waiting for everything to be official.

Waiting for their 2 new kids to be able to come home.

Today, yes - TODAY - Aliyah and Aaron will be home.  They will get off that big airplane and step onto American soil for the first time.  There will be tears.  There will be hugs.  There will be "nice to meet you's" and "we've been praying for you's".  And these two kids will be home.  For good.  For ever.

Home.

Wow.  I've got chills just thinking about the rejoicing that will be going on in Oklahoma in just about a half hour.  I can't say that I didn't try to calculate on MapQuest last night how long it might take for me to drive to Oklahoma.  Only about 13 hours.  Today, Jake said 'do you think we could still get tickets out of Appleton and get to Oklahoma on time?!'.  Oh how I would love to be there.  How I would love to wrap my arms around this mama & papa who have battled to get their kids home for over 4 months.

Home.  Family.  Forever & ever & ever.  Beautiful!

++++++++++++++++

Like I said - more, LOTS more tomorrow.

One Thing I Know For Sure:  The Father of the Fatherless loves to set the lonely in families.  Living proof in Oklahoma tonight....

3 comments:

  1. Oh Mosey...that's my Favorite show...house hunters.....why?, don't know since I plan on living in this house til I die...so glad to hear your friends in Oklahoma are finally home with their babies...xoxoxoxo Meemom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, love the 10 pics post and wow on the friends you met that are just now coming home. Bless them.
    And Carter and Dariya teamed up could clean a house in 35 seconds flat I am sure of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh, the shoes! Blake drags them around by the laces everywhere! And always in pairs, one for each hand :) I think your reasonings for why are similar to mine...only one person leaves his shoes all over the house :) Then he wonders why the laces are so tight next time he goes to put them on..haha. And the sabotaging his room bit, YES. Blake cleans his drawers out at night, though. He does all the lower shelves of the kitchen in the mornings..with help from his little sis! Sweet. Sweet. And I hear you on the daddy type of play..I try and try...evidently I just don't cut it :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...