Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Independence Square

This evening, we decided to do some more sight-seeing.  Really, we only have a few days left before the paper chase begins...and we want to try to get everything in before that!

Right before we left the apartment, we were all sitting on the couch, and we heard drums and chanting outside our window.  We went to the balcony, and there were about 10-12 men, marching - chanting - holding a flag.  I have no idea who they were - what they were saying - and I didn't like the sound that their chanting was making.  Really, it just freaked me out.  I was going to post a video of it here - but since I have no idea what they're chanting about, I decided not to post.

So we walked to Celentano's for dinner...and Jake and I had to laugh as we tried to figure out the different places that we've eaten, and how often.  We laughed because before we left for this trip - Rachel's parents had asked us about how often we planned to eat out.  I told them maybe 3 or 4 times the entire trip.  Lisa said "ohhh!  I thought you were eating out every day!".  I laughed and said 'oh - no way!'.

Well guess what?!

We've eaten out almost every single day :)  Sometimes lunch, sometimes dinner.  But, yep - almost every day.  Just trying to enjoy the city!

After Celentano's we walked to Independence Square.  We stopped there once a few days ago - for a minute or two, during the day.  It's just not the same as it is at night, and we wanted Rachel to see it when it's at its best!

I looked up some info about Independence Square on wikipedia, hoping to tell you all about it.  Well - there's really a lot to tell - so here is the link...really - read about it!




Okay - I have to say, don't judge the hair.  I napped all afternoon.
But, the girl next to me is pretty cute, isn't she?!


While we were looking up info about Independence Square, Jake found a news video about a protest that was going on here in the summer. It sounds like this city turns off it's hot water in the summer?  I've never heard that before and I'm not sure if it's true...but these people were protesting by washing their clothes and showering in the warm fountains.

Also breaking news....Britney Spears was walking around Kreschatyk in September.  Ha.

And this is for Commander Gander :)


We even went inside!  I looked at a sweatsuit for Carter...it was only about $230USD.  Ha!  Needless to say, we didn't get you that leather jacket you wanted.  Sorry...a chocolate bar will have to do.

One Thing I Know For Sure: Still need to see: Rodina Mot, Caves Monestary, and do some souvenir shopping.  Time is ticking!

2 comments:

  1. HOLY COW! 230 USD!?!?!? Are you SURE that wasn't Grivna? :D Well I guess if you can afford a Ferrari, you can probably afford a 230 dollar sweat suit for your son :D

    So nice and yet odd to see the Square again- when last I saw it it was snowy and COVERED with Christmas decorations! Anyway, the site seeing looks awesome. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes hot water goes off in waves for a week at a time, luckily we never had to experience it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...