Wednesday, January 19, 2011

There's No Place Like Home...

You may be wondering why I chose "No Place Like Home" for my blog name.  I would love to have a super-spiritual, deeply personal answer.  It was actually a pretty random thought - and for those of you that have a blog, you know that you have to enter a million blog names before you get one that is not already taken.  I started by looking for the meaning of my name - Ashley.  I thought, it must be something beautiful - strong - graceful - something that would make a great blog name.  But, not so.  Ashley literally means "Ash Tree".  I even tried several different websites...and they all say "Ash Tree".  Lame.  I won't bore you with the rest of the details...back to the blog.
I've always loved the Wizard of Oz (maybe this is where I got my love of shoes?!  It's Dorothy's fault....!) - I probably wore out several VHS tapes watching it over & over.  Of course, after many hard learned lessons, Dorothy realizes that she just wants to go home. "There's no place like home, there's no place like home...".  I wish it had a deeper meaning.... 

However, after thinking about this today - I realized that this could mean so many different things!  I mean, at the end of a hard, long, rotten day - don't we all just want to go home?  Even if we know it's messy, and there's laundry to be done (insert props to my man...he folded 2 loads of laundry this am...together now "awwww"...!)...it doesn't matter!  Just get me home!  Or maybe we can think of 'home' as a certain memory, or a group of memories.  Our family just made some memories @ my grandparents cabin in Iron Mountain. We all spent the weekend there - did some sledding, sat around the fireplace, and enjoyed a sleigh ride.  Those are memories I'll treasure...those memories are 'home' for me.
Then I think about sweet Elijah...who was just brought home from Eastern Europe.  Last year, Elijah didn't know what a home was - but he sure does now.  He's home.  Forget about the 'house' - that's not the point.  The point is - he's at home in his mommy's arms.  Now that's home!  Unimaginable!
But better than all of this....better than coming home after a crummy day, better than being a 'found' orphan...is the home we have waiting for us.  Our eternal homes.  I'm talking about heaven, people!  Now - hear me - I'm going to be honest  (why have a blog if I'm going to be phony?)...I'm in no rush to get there.  Does that sound unspiritual?  I mean really - the Lord can (and will) take me at any moment.  He doesn't need my permission.  And when He's ready, I'm ready.  Before Jake & I were married, we would always say "The Lord can come back after we get married!"  and everyone would laugh.  Now, we think "The Lord can come back whenever he wants - but can we have kids and watch them grow first?!".  So - as much as I want to live on this earth - I know there's something better....something so much better.  Forget about streets of gold...I can't wait to spend an eternity with my Creator!  It doesn't get much better than that, does it?  Well, maybe some of you reading this (there is someone reading this...right?!?) are dreading an eternity with your Creator...well then maybe you have some work to do.  Give it to Him - your fears, your anger, your insufficiencies...He wants you...yes - YOU!!  All of you!  Give it up...it's time. 

Praying huge blessings on you, dear friend.

One Thing I Know For Sure: Home really is where the heart is...isn't it?  Where is your heart?

1 comment:

  1. I Love your thoughts sweet daughter. Keep speaking truth!! Love Mama G

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...