Monday, January 27, 2014

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

I'm here again with the same old sob story.

Surprise! School is closed.  

Tomorrow is supposed to be worse.  According to those horrible, awful, no-good weather men.  

Just kidding.  I'm sure they're nice.  Especially Mr. Petoniak.  I like him.  

Yesterday, knowing full well that the coming days would be spent bundled inside, we decided to toss this kid outside for a few minutes.  


He could not believe we were letting him go outside.  He's only been begging since November.

The shoes.  I know.  Bad.  Please don't write hateful comments!
His boots were in the car.  The freezing, cold car.
Anyone know how it feels to put on ice cold boots? It's worse than wearing your shoes in the snow.  Really.
 You'll never guess how Carter chose to spend his 15 minutes outside!

:)


I have high hopes that tomorrow will be the last snow day of the school year.  Wishful thinking, maybe.  It's not that I don't love spending time with this sweet, silly boy.  Because I do.

But this weather hits, and the days drag on.  And on.  And on.  So we snuggle up to watch Sesame Street.  We play trains.  We read books.  We eat chips.  We play trains.  We play iPad.  We watch Sesame Street.  We read books.  We eat macaroni.  We play trains.

Wash.  Rinse.  Repeat.

You get the idea.


Someday, I'll beg for these days to come back.  I know.  

So here's a note to my future self: Ash - your kidlets are all grown now.  And you wish they were still babies.  Guess what?  It wasn't as idyllic as it seemed.  Days were hard.  It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.  But grown kids are good, too.  Find the good stuff.  It's there.  Do a fun project by yourself.  Take a nap.  Read a book.  Kick your feet up.  And toast your younger self.  Which would be me.  Toast me.  Because I'm watching a young child.  So I can't.

I end with this.  We're in a hard season.  Winter is hard, no doubt.

But it's only for a season, I promise.  And sometimes the seasons in our life seem never-ending and too hard and impossible to withstand.  

It's only for a season, though.  And soon, the sun with shine - the snow will melt - and things will be good again.

I promise!

One Thing I Know For Sure: As my Grannie said in her email this morning - "The sun shineth, and spring is coming" - she's endured many more winters than I, so she must know what she's talking about.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you need to get out as badly as I do! Hope tomorrow night works out ok! Is it supposed to "warm up" tomorrow night? We can pray so! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe this....you were the first person I thought of when I got the "school closing Tuesday" text. I honestly laughed a little because I could here you yelling, "Nnooooooooo!" Looks like you had a wonderful day and the cart pics are the BEST!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know how many times I've forgotten an article of clothing in a freezing cold car and had to retrieve it at the last minute. I found out if I kick the heater on in the house and place the item on the floor vents they heat up pretty quick! haha! gotta do what you gotta do some days.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...